Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Just call me a Slave Driver

Well the kids informed me today that I am just a regular old slave driver! That's me I guess! I've been called worse by far and I think some day they will appreciate what I do...I hope so anyway.

I make my kids do chores! I have taught the oldest four to do laundry, dishes, clean up the messes they make, vacuum the carpet and clean their rooms and the bathroom. They also know how to help me shovel and rake. My youngest is working on cleaning up his toys and books and helping to throw away trash.

What they consider the worst part is that we don't give them money for doing these things. We give them spending money as they need it. We buy them treats throughout the month or take them all out for dinner. We give them rewards for bigger projects and jobs, but I don't feel that paying them to help around the house is sending the correct message.



With a family of seven, there are a lot of chores for someone to do on a daily basis. But, being that there ARE seven of us, none of the kids has more than 15 or 20 minutes of chores in one day. I know there are different views on allowance for chores, etc. I'm not saying my way is the only way. I'm just sharing what I feel is the best way for ME!

So, slave driver or not, I am fine with them getting upset with me. I think that when they're older and have their own homes and families they will have a good foundation to build upon. I know adults who have no idea how to care for themselves. They were never taught and never took time to learn. I have seen marriages destruct due to these types of issues. I want all the kids to be set up to succeed in every area possible!